- Future Students
- Business Technology
- Dental Assisting
- Health & Wellness
- Information Technology
- Legal Technology
- Medical Technology Programs
- Practical Nursing
- Real Estate
- STNA – State Tested Nursing Assistant Program
- Veterinary Technician
- Online Programs – All Campuses
- Current Students
- ABK National Honor Society
- Building Maps
- Career Services
- Disability Services
- Emergency Evacuation
- Financial Aid
- Faculty Email Directory
- Ohio Voter Registration
- Online Classes Login
- Referral Form
- Student Resources
- Volunteer Opportunities
- A – Z Index
- Articulation/Academic Agreements
- Consumer Information
- Contact Information
- Events Calendar
- Stautzenberger Job Opportunities
- Stautzenberger News
- Other Locations
Veterinary Technician Program
Enroll at the Only AVMA-Approved Vet Tech School in the Toledo, OH Area
Why Top Veterinarians Prefer Our Students
If you have a love for all animals, big and small, then the Veterinary Technician program at Stautzenberger College can help you obtain the education and practical hands-on experience that is necessary for entering the veterinary field. This program features a comprehensive curriculum that includes animal anatomy and physiology, laboratory and surgical techniques, anesthesiology, radiology, and more.
Students enrolled in the Veterinary Technician program are prepared to perform a wide variety of medical procedures, including diagnostic radiographs and other essential tests, so they can be an active and participating member of the veterinary health care team upon arrival. This intensive program is specifically designed to prepare students to work in a small animal clinic setting, but the education provided also exposes the student to large animal care and veterinary research information, so post-school employment options will be maximized.
Veterinary Technician Program Details
Stautzenberger College is the only American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) approved vet tech program* in the Toledo, Ohio area. The Veterinary Technician program is available in both day and evening classes. The normal time to complete this program for a full-time student is 27 months. After successful completion of this program and the required externship, the graduate will receive an Associate of Applied Science degree and be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE).
Those who successfully pass the VTNE will be eligible for licensure in Ohio, as well as many other states. *Eligible for licensure in most state including Ohio. Licensure from the Ohio Veterinary Medical Licensing Board (OVMLB) is needed for employment as a Registered Veterinary Technician.
In addition to the required number of credit hours for completion of the Veterinary Technician program, students are also required to acquire Pre-Occupational Development Skills (PODS). These volunteer hours are required as follows:
- First Year: The student is required to spend twenty (20) hours assisting at various non-profit facilities approved by the program director and forty (40) hours of kennel duty at various facilities approved by the program director.
- Second Year: The student is required to spend forty (40) hours of large animal experience at various facilities approved by the program director. The hours may be started at any time after completion of the student’s first year required duties. Technical training with large animal species will be done during mandatory field trips and will account for at least ten (10) of the forty (40) hours required.
Employment opportunities for registered Veterinary Technicians can include veterinary offices, clinics, hospitals, or in private or government-sponsored research facilities and food inspection agencies.
To register in the Veterinary Technician School at Stautzenberger College, call our admissions line at (419) 866-0261 or for more information on this or another of our career-focused programs, simply complete and submit our online information request form on the side of the page.
OH REG #99-10-1523T