Phlebotomy Technician Program Fast Facts:
- Stautzenberger College offers the Phlebotomy Technician program for Toledo-area students interested in entering the medical profession as a phlebotomy technician.
- Our phlebotomy technician students can enroll in either day or evening classes.
- Graduates will qualify for the American Medical Technologist Certification Exam as a Registered Phlebotomy Technician.
- Graduates of the program receive a certificate.
- The normal time to complete this program for a full-time student is 12 months.
Become a Phlebotomy Technician
The Phlebotomy program will prepare the student to qualify for national certification and to function as a phlebotomy technician. The curriculum trains students to become skilled professional laboratory workers who will perform blood draws for all ages by venipuncture and dermal puncture, as well as collection of non-blood specimens. These health care professionals will practice safety precautions, follow all policies and procedures to prevent the transmission of infectious diseases, while maintaining patient confidentiality. A phlebotomy technician is an integral part of the medical team who interacts directly with patients and other health care providers. Professionalism, communication and office skills are incorporated into this certificate program to ensure a comprehensive outcome. Each student is required to participate in a hands-on externship at a metro Toledo health care facility.
The Phlebotomy Technician certificate program is designed to provide basic instructional information needed to start at the entry level in this medical profession. Phlebotomy Technicians are employed in hospitals, reference laboratories, doctor offices, clinics and blood banks.
Objectives of the Phlebotomy Technician Program:
- Demonstrate the ability to function as a competent phlebotomy technician in conjunction with a medical team in a laboratory or other health care setting.
- Apply proper infection control and blood borne pathogen prevention techniques.
- Build an understanding and demonstrate proper procedures in handling confidentiality in the medical industry.
- Prepare graduates to function in an office environment with specific training in, but not limited to, medical terminology, telephone etiquette, customer service and communication skills.
- Illustrate competency in technology to enhance office efficiency.
- Become familiar with specific laboratory tests and the relationship to the body.