Medical Billing and Coding Specialist
Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Program Fast Facts:
- Stautzenberger College provides a Medical Billing and Coding Specialist program for students in the Toledo, Ohio area who want to enter the medical billing and coding profession.
- Our Toledo-area students can enroll in day, evening or online classes.
- The Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Program is available either as a traditional on-campus program or as an online program. Students who opt to enroll in the online program must meet specific system requirements for Distance Learning.
- The normal time to complete this program for a full-time student is 15 months.
- Graduates of the program receive a diploma.
- Upon successful completion of the program, graduates may sit for the national voluntary Certified Professional Coding exam administered by the American Academy of Professional Coders.
- Graduates are prepared to enter the medical profession as an entry-level medical biller/coder.
What is a Medical Billing and Coding Specialist?
Medical billing and coding specialists are medical professionals that may work in a physician’s office, managed health care organization, laboratory, or other allied health facility. Stautzenberger’s Medical Billing and Coding Specialist curriculum is designed to provide students with a “hands-on” approach to gaining the skills and knowledge necessary to perform the functions of a medical biller/coder while understanding the professional and ethical responsibilities.
Courses in computer billing applications, administrative procedures, and medical law, along with courses in CPT, ICD, and HCPS coding, processing insurance claims, and retrieving information from medical documents, train the student for the billing and coding profession. General courses in written communication and computer coursework serve to develop the student’s writing skills and workplace adaptability.
Each student is required to participate in a hands-on externship at a local health care facility.
The goals of the Medical Billing and Coding program are:
- Coding and insurance billing skills using current CPT, ICD, and HCPS code books.
- Understanding diagnostic and procedural coding.
- Knowledge of proper medical documentation.
- Information regarding private insurance and managed care systems.
- Understanding of hospital billing.
- Guidance in ethical behavior and professionalism befitting the medical biller/coder.
- Communication and collaborative skills necessary for effective interaction with other members of the medical team.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Career guidance and placement assistance of graduates after their externships at metro Toledo facilities.
- Support of the Medical Billing/Coding profession.