Legal Secretary Program Fast Facts:
- The mission of the Court Reporting program at Stautzenberger College in METRO Toledo, Ohio is to prepare men and women for a career in the legal profession as a legal secretary.
- Graduates of the Legal Secretary program receive an Associate of Applied Business degree.
- Our Toledo-area legal secretary students can enroll in either day or evening classes.
- The normal time to complete this program for a full-time student is 24 months.
Become a Legal Secretary
The Legal Secretary program at Stautzenberger College is designed to provide quality legal education and career services assistance in a personalized environment, emphasizing ethics and respect for the judicial system, service to the community and advancement of the profession through administrative application.
The Legal Secretary curriculum is designed to provide students with a “hands on” approach to gaining the skills and knowledge necessary to perform the functions of a legal secretary while understanding the professional and ethical responsibilities of the position. Courses in theory, technology, business and legal studies train the students for a career in the legal industry. General courses serve to supplement a student’s education, thereby contributing the overall knowledge base.
The Legal Secretary program leads to a position as a legal secretary, legal office manager, and/or other legal administrative position in large law firms, corporate organizations or small legal offices. This program is not intended to prepare students for placement in the paralegal field.
Objectives of the Legal Secretary Program:
- Develop communication skills necessary to work collaboratively as an integral part of the legal team.
- Provide hands-on opportunities to develop proficiency in various software applications necessary to prepare documents and correspondence, and assist with billing and data entry in a law office.
- Understand the workings of a law office and how a legal secretary can serve as an integral part of the organization.
- Gain a basic understanding of the legal research process.
- Promote ethical behavior and professionalism befitting the legal secretary.
- Provide career guidance and placement assistance of graduates.
- Provide the legal community with highly qualified legal secretaries.