Court Reporting Program Fast Facts:
- The mission of the Court Reporting program at Stautzenberger College in METRO Toledo, Ohio is to prepare men and women for a career in court reporting as a judicial court reporter.
- Graduates of the Court Reporting program receive an Associate of Applied Business degree.
- Our Toledo-area court reporting students can enroll in either day or evening classes.
- The normal time to complete this program for a full-time student is 27 months.
Become a Court Reporter
The Associate Degree in Court Reporting serves students, employers and the legal community by providing quality court reporting training in a personalized environment, emphasizing ethics and respect for the judicial system, service to the community and advancement of the profession through practical application.
The Court Reporting curriculum is designed to provide students with a “hands-on” approach to gaining the skills and knowledge necessary to perform the function of a court reporter while understanding the professional and ethical responsibilities of the position. Courses in Theory, Transcript English, Computer Aided Transcription, and Reporting Practices train the students for a career in judicial court reporting. General courses in Oral Communications, Geography, and Vocabulary serve to supplement the students’ education, therefore contributing to their overall knowledge base.
The Court Reporting program leads to a position as a judicial court reporter. In this capacity, the students’ duties may include freelance court reporting, judicial reporting, swearing in the witness, producing a verbatim transcript of proceedings, editing and/or proofreading.
Objectives of the Court Reporting Program
- Provide practical hands-on experience in the area of judicial court reporting
- Develop the students’ ability to generate a complete and accurate transcript
- Promote ethical behavior and professionalism befitting the judicial court reporter
- Provide career guidance and placement assistance for graduates after their externships at Toledo area facilities
- Foster grammar and speed building skills
- Support the advancement of the judicial court reporting profession