Broadcast Captioning Program Fast Facts:
- The mission of the Broadcast Captioning program at Stautzenberger College in METRO Toledo, Ohio is to prepare men and women for a career as a Broadcast Captioning Provider.
- Graduates of the Broadcast Captioning program receive an Associate of Applied Business degree.
- Our Toledo-area broadcast captioning students can enroll in either day or evening classes.
- The normal time to complete this program for a full-time student is 27 months.
Become a Broadcast Captioning Provider
The Broadcast Captioning program at Stautzenberger College provides quality Broadcast Captioning education and career services assistance in a personalized environment, emphasizing ethics and respect for the judicial system, service to the community, and advancement of the profession through practical application.
The Broadcast Captioning curriculum is designed to provide students with a “hands-on” approach to gaining the skills and knowledge necessary to perform the function of a Broadcast Captioner Provider while understanding the professional and ethical responsibilities of the position. Courses in theory, speed building, computer aided transcription, and captioning train students for a career in Broadcast Captioning providing. General courses in geography and vocabulary serve to supplement students’ education, therefore contributing to their overall knowledge base.
The Broadcast Captioning program leads to a position as a Broadcast Captioner Provider. In this capacity, duties may include providing captions to the deaf or hard-of-hearing television audience, providing captions for high school or college students’ classes, and reporting seminars or meetings that take place via the Internet.
Objectives of the Broadcast Captioning Program:
- Provide practical hands-on experience in the area of Broadcast Captioning.
- Develop the students’ ability to generate captioning for live television broadcasts and high school and college classes.
- Promote ethical behavior and professionalism befitting the Captioning provider.
- Foster grammar and speed building skills.
- Support the advancement of the captioning professions.